Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Oakland vs. San Jose

East Bay vs. South. Pretty ridiculous that it has come to this. But that is pretty much what the argument over Mr. Wolff's acquisition of the A's has become. It is no secret that the current A's owner, Steve Schott, has had a desire to move the A's to the South Bay. But the fact that Mr. Wolff is referred to as the "developer of Downtown San Jose" can't help but make the pride of the East Bay cringe.

As I have stated in my Introductory, I do not care where the A's move to so long as they have a new stadium. I would follow them wherever they went; of course if they moved out of the state or to Sacramento, it would be harder but that wouldn't mean I would stop following them. At the core of a "true" A's fan is the fact that you love the franchise, not the current or certain inception of it. Something that has been thrown about in the countless boards and blogs is the ideal that "I solely root for the Oakland A's." Well, that's all fine and dandy, but I sure hope that when the lamest of lame Boston and Yankee fans tout their multiple World Series Titles, you don't mention the number 9. At all. Simply because you are an Oakland A's fan.

Now, I want people who consider themselves this sort of fan to really think hard, dig deep down in your heart, and say in all sincerity that you have never said that. Have you ever mentioned anything about Connie Mack? Well, may that is a stretch; some fans are younger or not as well familiar with the history of the A's franchise. But let's take the most iconic thing about the A's: Stomper. He is an incarnation of the famous line spewed by the late New York Giants owner, John McGraw, "The White Elephants." If you truly are an Oakland A's fan, Stomper should not be apart of your vocabulary, memory, or fan experience.

Another point that I have is that wonder how many of these diehard "Oakland A's" fans are just of convince. I am not trying to be a stickler because I live in the South Bay, but it is a genuine question that I have based on two common arguments: 1. I cannot get to the A's games because of issues regarding transportation, public or private and 2. In a new stadium, prices are going to rise on account of the "yuppie-like" influence and because it's new.

For the first argument, I will break it down even further into two points of contention. Something I tend to hear is "Well Bart isn't even in San Jose so why bother?" Well I say, "It will eventually." Sort of along the same lines when I say "A new stadium at the parking lot is just a bandaid, the area has to be developed," I get the response, "It will eventually." So what will come first, the Bart to San Jose or the development of the Hegenberger district? One depends on the taxpayers of Santa Clara County and the VTA board; the other -- coincidentally -- on taxpayers, a stagnant city council, businesses, mainly big box stores. Just ask WalMart how hard it is to build in Oakland without damaging the sacred infrastructure that is urban life. Talk about an oxymoron.

The second point I hear about the South Bay? "Well traffic going that way is too bad." I say, well right now it is, but do you expect the A's to move tomorrow? Most of the major projects along the artery that is Interstate 880, have been or are being completed as we speak. One of the main areas of issue is at the Alameda/Santa Clara County border aka Fremont Ave. to 101. But guess what? That is no longer going to be an issue! Current holdups are based on the repainting of lines on the newly expanded stretch. And further down on 880 a project, located near the base of Mineta International Airport of San Jose(We did it first Arte!), is going to be completed next year. Couple both of these improvements with the fact that going to games on the weekdays means you will be traveling *against* traffic makes this a weak point of contention.

Finally, the last argument I hear about is how a new stadium in San Jose would create a yuppie atmosphere. Honestly, you can't be serious, can you people? Are you all forgetting the fact that in the late 80's, big businesses would lineup by the dozens just to get those precious luxury boxes and season tickets for employees? IN OAKLAND?!?! What I don't understand if this happens in Oakland, it's ok, but if it happens in San Jose, the whole damn thing is a travesty. Care to explain that one to me? And the idea that ticket prices will be too high; well bud, that isn't an exclusive idea that only happens in the South Bay. You don't think that Cal, pride of the East Bay, will raise the prices when they open a newly renovated football stadium? (And don't get me started with the whole idea that a new private baseball stadium cannot be funded mainly on public money but yet its ok to have a public university ask for private donations.) Or better yet, try and understand a raise in prices from a D-Ray fan's perspective. I sympathize with the fact that some could not afford a raise in ticket prices; hell, when I was younger, I was less fortunate to have the things I do today. But don't make it a geographically-exclusive idea.

As long-winded as this post has become, there is still a lot more that I have issue with. Yes, it may seem like I am trying to be an elitist, pompous bastard, but I'm not; those of you who have the ideas I just wrote about are. So if reading this hasn't changed your mind about your undying faith, which iconically would "die" if the A's moved -- go figure --, then I ask you; I plead you, to do one thing. There is a saying in baseball, that with the creation of free agents has left little meaning; meaning that remains only with fans, "You wear your heart on your sleeve."So long as that uniform, emblazoned on the front with the great city of "OAKLAND", has white elephant depicted on that right sleeve, don't call yourself an "Oakland A's" fan.

Call yourself: "An A's fan"